So, I don't have time to mop my floor, but I have time to do an art project. Go figure.
I take no credit for the idea for this; I found the tutorial at Under the Table and Dreaming via Tatertots and Jello-- that's the site on which I was a WINNER (my look book will be another post).
Anyway, I LOVE how this turned out! Not only does it help me keep my menus straight for the week (granted, this means that I actually have to plan ahead of time for seven straight days), but it's so cute. Everyone who comes over comments on it and asks me where I got it. Lisa's House of Wonders, I tell them. That's what M would call "Lisa-humor." That's another way of him saying that I'm likely the only one who thinks what I've said is funny.
Silence...
Moving on! Here's how I made the menu board:
1) I started with an old frame.
My mother-in-law gave me this old frame when I broke the glass in another frame, so I could see if the glass would fit. It didn't. So, this nicked-up frame was just taking up precious space in my house.
2) I "updated" it with brown shoe polish. Not because I'm crazy-creative, but because I don't own brown paint. Or brown stain. But I do own brown shoe polish.
Look how nicely it buffs up! I feel like the polish gave those nicks wayyyyyy more character. They now have a purpose in life, and we all know how good that feels.
My purpose in life?
Not mopping the floor right now.
3) I glued burlap to the frame backing, added "MENU" in sticky letters left-over from days when I dealt with high school freshmen who couldn't stop talking and before I dealt with a two year old who can't stop talking. I printed out the super-cute letters for the days of the week, cut them out and glued them on, and then replaced the glass. Finally, I wrote out my menu directly on the glass with a dry-erase marker!
Don't judge me by my pathetic dinner planning that week. We had been out-of-town the weekend before, my husband had a work dinner one night, and we went out of town at the end of the week. I worked with what I had.
4) I hung it up. Whoo-hoo!
I'm still feeling super self-conscious about showing you the menu. Does it help if I tell you that, in the last five days, I've made homemade chicken pot pie (with homemade pie crusts, too!), chicken enchiladas, hamburgers, ribeye, baked sweet potatoes, and (more) chili?
That made me feel a bit better, at least. Thanks for indulging me.
Halloween Porch
5 days ago


Oh my gosh I love that! What a clever idea! Thanks for showing it. That is so so cute!!
ReplyDeleteI can vouch for Lisa's menu. She's a fabulous cook! I think that week sounds good to me! I'd come over. :)
(Funny- L- I was going to do a post on my menu, too, though not in the clever way I display it!)
This is awesome! :) Don't worry, I'm not judging! I love to cook, but we had Hamburger Helper last week... haha
ReplyDeleteThanks, girls! And Megan, I'm going to post my Hamburger Stroganoff recipe on my Kitchen blog this week-- it's soooo easy and is easily adaptable with things already in your pantry and doesn't require a box mix! :)
ReplyDelete