Friday, September 10, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 8)


1. My beautiful, rock-lined, crushed granite walkways? Now they are not-so-beautiful, rock-lined, crushed granite washed-aways. Nearly 9 inches of rain in 2 days has frustrated my backyard beautification efforts nearly as much as those pesky deer did.

2. Not fun: a sick 2 1/2 year old. REALLY not fun: a sick 30-something mother of two. I thought it was bad when C got sick, but trying to keep an infant healthy AND get healthy myself AND take care of a sick toddler is proving tricky. It may be time for me to visit the doctor... I need to make sure I'm going at this with my guns fully-loaded. The sinus infection (or whatever it is) is sapping my energy to a frightening degree, and I need every bit of energy I can get to keep up with my turbo-crawler.

3. Speaking of guns... I don't know how long it's been since I shot a BB gun, but taking out innocent aluminum cans is fun!

4. I've learned that I can't keep up with blogging everyday, if I ever want to say anything of any significance. I need to figure out how to schedule time for blogging and then get OFF the Internet.

5. On my bookshelf: Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers. It's about how, since WWII, kids have been socialized by their peers and how this situation is only getting worse. I'm only at the beginning of the book, but find myself agreeing with the authors. One thing that saddens me, though, is how much I can see how I was very peer-oriented, to the detriment of my family life with my parents. Sorry, Mom and Dad!


6. Quote of the week: "Education makes me sick, Mommy." Seriously? Runner-up quote of the week: "I need ice cream for breakfast. It makes my nose feel better." I'm with you there, kid. (And no, she didn't get it for breakfast)

7. FINALLY little H will eat foods that have real texture to them. I've been concerned that I'd still be blending/mashing/grinding his food clear through college.

7 comments:

  1. Love the "you might also like"! That's fun!!!

    I'm so sorry about your walkways! And that you're so sick!!!! THat's awful and miserable adn I'm sorry. :( Amen to the blogging schedule and on-line/off-line time. I think I need to read that book!!!

    and no way. C did not say that about education. Can she even SAY education? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What... you don't think your BRILLIANT little Goddaughter can say "education?" Oh, friend, you've got another thing coming! She really did say this, but not totally out of the blue. She asked me what I was reading about and I said, "Education." Since she's been sick, I've been especially warning her about putting her hands in her mouth/not washing her hands/other things and saying that the could make her sick. You can guess what else I've been telling her, given the "makes my nose feel better" comment. She has about 5 or 6 phrases that she likes to insert alongside random thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every so often I go looking for something in my archives and realize that blogging is a spotty enterprise. It'll be brilliant for a week or two, and then blah for another week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you've been sick!
    I agree that it's hard to find the right balance with blogging - I still haven't got it!
    That book looks really interesting - would you review it for us when you finish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you're sick! No fun! That book sounds very interesting! I think I was socialized by my peers to, and thank goodness they were good kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #4 .... if you can think of a way to keep blogging and internet under control, please let me know!!!!!

    And hasn't Lauren kicked your butt about word verification yet?? Lose it, sista!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so this is not a comment about this blog post, but I saw that you were the one making the annoucement on Lauren's blog so I wanted to see if I could impore you for help with this!

    I am hoping that we can convince Lauren to register at Target.com or Babiesrus.com so that we can all shower her with gifts via cyberspace! She could register under the name Lauren Magnify and if we order online they will ship it directly to her without revealing her address to us. I know that she is busy enjoying these first few days with Abigail, so maybe a close friend could help her set up the registry so that we can bless her in abudance!! She deserves the best! She has been an amazing inspiration and encouragment to so many friends in blog land and I would like to send her a long awaited baby gift for her daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails