Friday, September 24, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 10)


1. Ring status: still stuck on finger. I tried once yesterday (with Windex again), but decided to wait it out a bit longer. The first time that the swelling in my finger really appears to go down, I'm going full-force. I figure that I'll give it a week, then get it cut off my hand (the ring, not my finger).

2. I have a new pumpkin pie plate that I found on sale at Kohls,  and I LOVE it. I made a pumpkin pie in it already, and it looks just as fabulous with a pie in it as it does empty. For all of you GF (gluten-free) people, you should know that I made it GF... I just made it crustless, like my mother-in-law does. It tastes just as great, without the extra crust-calories! I love this season so much, pie being a primary reason!

3. Speaking of delicious GF food, you've got to try the Amy's frozen meals. I haven't had a frozen meal since M and I got married. The meals were on sale at HEB today for... get this... $1.88/meal. So I bought a few for me and the kids (since H is still GF and is pretty hesitant regarding solids, but likes rice, beans, and cheese enchiladas!). Here's the story behind why I went ahead with frozen meals instead of cooking like usual: my mother-in-law always tells me about how whenever her husband would go out of town on business, she and the boys would go to the store and pick out frozen dinners. The boys would always get the "Hungry Man" dinners, which makes me laugh, picturing these young boys eating Hungry Man meals. Since M had to go out of town for the night, I decided to try out the frozen dinner plan! Anyway, the meals we tried and loved were the Cheese Tamale Verde, the Cheese Enchilada Whole Meal, and the Cheese Enchilada Entree. Yum to ALL of them!

4. Cloth-diapering mamas, I have a question for you. What sort of bag do you use at home to store your wet/used diapers before washing them? And how do you deal with the wipes? When I was using disposable diapers, I used a Diaper Champ pail and tucked the wipes into the used diapers then threw them away. Now, I'm not sure if I should just throw the wipes in the trash or put them in something with a lid, like the Diaper Champ (but I can't just drop them in there with the flip lid because they'd get stuck and it'd get all gross...). I'd love to hear about your diaper storage plan!

5. On the cloth diaper subject, I had a glorious revelation the other day. I had been drying the diapers outside when it rained on them. I already had clothes in the dryer and some in the washer that had to get dried, since I consider it fairly important that M wear pants to work. I have (more than) several disposables left from H and C, so I just used the disposables. I realized that I don't HAVE to commit to cloth diapering when it's inconvenient for me, and that I can go back and forth. I'm doing this (cloth diapering) to save money, but since I already OWN a box full of disposable diapers, there's no monetary problem with using whichever ones work for me at a particular time and place. I love the cloth diapers, but don't need to feel guilty about the times that they're not convenient for me.

6. Marilyn-- this one is for you. If you're reading this, please e-mail me your address. I need to send the cookbook, and am missing all of my addresses. And stamps. It's starting to become a problem. If anyone sees a bag that has Simpsons and lighthouse stamps in it, and a typed address list with tons of cross-outs and handwritten addresses, please let me know. It needs to find its way home again. And if anyone happens to find it wandering out in the world, it will be easy to send back to me-- there are a TON of old stamps in there!

7. I'm going to turn my computer off all weekend. I think I need to practice better internet restraint, and weekends may be where I need to start.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with that ring! I suppose you have tried all the old stand-bys, such as holding your hand up and letting gravity help reduce the size of the finger, soap, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the ring. (Ouch!) And kudos for turning the computer off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,
    marilynbyrum@misdmail.org is my email address- you can shoot me an email!

    Also, are you posting your pumpkin pie recipie online? I would love to have it.

    Funny line from a student essay: Steinbeck created suspension in his sentence by using asyndetons to emphasize his point that.....

    Hmm...tension would be good- suspense would be good- but both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4. Great question! We're planning to cloth diaper, but I haven't decided if we'll use cloth or disposable wipes yet. Hopefully someone gives you good advice!

    7. That's very admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the recommendation for GF stuff...I am always on the look-out for that kind of stuff. Also, #7 - me too. It has been a rather intense week.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lisa. For cloth diapering, I highly recommend cloth wipes. They are cheap for a good-sized stash (MUCH cheaper than disposable wipes over time, like diapers) and you can just throw them into the bin with the diapers so you don't have to deal with two separate receptacles. I use a spray bottle of plain water (with maybe a drop or two of lavender essential oil), spray the disposable wipe (or bottom if I'm being lazy), and clean! I actually end up needing fewer wipes when I use cloth wipes v. disposables. Now that we're in Spain, we have a bidet in the baby's bathroom, so that's great for butt rinses if it's too messy (sorry, tmi). :) But a bathtub works, too.

    I use a trash can and thirsties diaper pail liner as a receptacle. There are great deodorizing discs out there, too, which really work!

    Do you ever post your GF recipes? We have discovered that Eden is both gluten and lactose intolerant. Andrew is gluten intolerant as well. I'd love recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love you, roomie! :) and am praying you don't have to cut off that gorgeous ring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are cloth diapering already... use cloth wipes!!! So easy. Just get them damp and store them in a plastic disposable wipes box, and wash them with the diapers, it's really no extra work. I use a PUL cloth sack inside a normal trash can, with no lid (seriously, they smell LESS when there is no lid!) I bring the bag to the washing machine, dump all the dipes into the machine, then throw the empty bag in the shwoer. Next time I take a shower, I turn the bag inside out and rinse it thoroughly. I have two bags, so there is always one in the garbage can in the changing area, and one drying in the bathroom post-shower.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails