** This post is shorter than I'd planned for this week-- we went out of town for the long weekend and then I spent the next night staying up with a very sad (and sick?) toddler and teething infant, so the editing that needed to get done of my full post wasn't happening last night. Here's the abbreviated version:
I touched on this idea last week, but one thing that eases my mind about homeschooling is that no matter what decision we make in the next few years, we can always, and easily, reverse the decision.
Example 1: Should we opt for homeschooling our daughter for Kindergarten and first grade, and then discover that it's not for us (or for her), we could send her to the local public school for second grade, and do likewise with my son, who would be entering Kindergarten.
Example 2: Same as Example 1, but with the modification of homeschooling our son for a few years (if we felt it was best for him) while our daughter went to public school (I'd include Catholic/private as an option here, but the distance to one from our home really precludes the idea), and seeing how that worked.
Example 3: Same as Example 1, but with the modification of reverting back to homeschooling once more if we were concerned with what our daughter was/wasn't learning or to what she was being exposed.
Homeschooling moms-- have you gone back-and-forth at all? Had different schooling plans for different children? Know families that have?
EDITED TO ADD: Perhpas the concept of homeschooling being fully-reversible is no surprise to many people, but for someone like me, who was worried that it was an all-or-nothing thing, it's reassuring to realize that, at any point, we can change our minds and change the way we educate our children. That's a selling point for my somewhat-hesitant husband.
As an added bonus, here are a few homeschool classrooms that have piqued my interest...
The Domestic Notebook- I love, love, LOVE how practical this room is, and I particularly like the emphasis on the table and chairs-- learning is literally the central focus in this room! The Notetaker has done a fantastic job (really, though, I can't think of a single post of hers where I don't think she's done a fantastic job at whatever she's done...) at integrating the three stages of childhood she's dealing with: a preschooler (the table, flashcards, and books), a toddler (puzzles, chalk, and letters), and an infant (an ottoman for nursing!). In the back of my mind I question how to balance multiple children and homeschooling, and this room answers that question!
A Holy Experience- The maps. Ahhh. The maps make me swoon like the heroine of a 17th-century British novel. And don't even get me started on the bookshelves and wooden caddy. They push me over the edge. Every time I look at this room, I want to be this woman's child/student.
Less of Me~More of Him- This is what I picture when I think of the phrase "homeschool classroom," at least in the early years. It's colorful, and arranged roughly like a preschool classroom would be.
Granted, we have no "free" rooms in the house at the moment, should I want to mimic any of these. I think it may be time to think about adding on...
One last note: I used to think there was something odd about homeschooling, like the kids would be missing most of their teeth and the mothers would wear prairie dresses to the grocery store. Clearly, I was wayyyyyy off base. But then I came across a blog that kind of confirmed my fears. So, in order to proceed, I'm having to force that blog out of my mind. I even cleared my history so I wouldn't stumble upon it again unless it was purely accidental. Extreme, no?
Halloween Porch
5 days ago

I'm so with you on wanting to be "A Holy Experience"'s child/student!!! I was in awe when I stumbled upon her blog. Woah. Amazing. AMAZING!!!
ReplyDeleteDo I want to home school just for decorating purposes? :) (Actually the answer to that is a resounding NO. While I love drooling over others decorating- I hate doing it myself...it means spending money! And change! I dislike change. Guess who I didn't vote for!)
Tangent- sorry...
I don't think you have to dedicate a room to homeschooling though. I have friends who just used their kitchen table and it works beautifully for them. It depends on the family. But I wouldn't stress (I don't think you are!) over not having a room for that purpose.
I also agree that the fully reversible-ness :) is a GREAT safety net!!
I'm so excited to visit the sites you listed! Thanks for the post!
ReplyDeleteI love looking at other people's homeschool rooms. It's a fun way to get some ideas for the future :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, Josee! I love seeing how other people organize for homeschooling.
ReplyDeleteLauren- I know I don't need a room, but I also know how insane my kitchen table can get with just everyday life. It's likely I wouldn't have a room for a while unless we end up adding on (which we're talking about doing, assuming we will definitely stay in this house), so I would have to find a place to store my homeschooling materials, in addition to all my English books and M's Vet books!
Kaitlin- Just wait until next week... it's the mother load of links...
I am DROOLING over Holy Experience's classroom!
ReplyDelete