AKA "What? Lisa can SEW? With a MACHINE?"
Do you see this? Do you see this? Do you see THIS??? Because I can't stop staring. For the record, "words of praise" is totally my love language. I can't stop praising myself for what I made! By myself! On a machine!
And I apparently can't stop using italics, either. It's an addiction. I'm trying to get away from the incessant semi-colons, so I need my italics to keep me strong.
I first saw the pattern in cherries on The Domestic Notebook and fell in love. THEN, she made the dress with monkeys and I knew I had to try my hand at it.
I give total pattern-credit to Made by Rae and Amber. I ADORE this pattern and already purchased enough material in other colors so I can make more! And one of my best friends is having twins next year... guess what they'll be wearing if either or both are girls.
Finally, I have to tell you how FABULOUS M's sweet aunt is. The kids and I spent several days at her home while M was busy in Iowa. She helped me pick out the fabric, taught me all the basics of cutting and pinning the fabric (she even cut out and pinned 2 of the bodice pieces for me!), set the machine up for me, and supervised me while I got started. I worked on the dress after the kiddos went to bed, which was rather late some nights, so she stayed up until the wee hours of the night with me while I sewed in the basement for two nights in a row. And the most amazing thing of all for me was that she let ME do it all. Now I can say that I made the dress by myself. I am seriously so proud of myself that I might pop. It's been a long time since I've had this much pride in creating anything but my kids (and there was definitely help from M there). I learned how to use bias tape, make my own trim, gather the skirt, sew around curves, and basically just how to use a sewing machine for something more than baby blankets and stuffed teddy bears... the previous extent of my machine experience.
Have you made anything exciting lately? Leave a link if you have something to show off!
PS Don't miss out on the cookbook giveaway!
Halloween Porch
5 days ago


I am totally amazed by this dress. Please post pictures of C wearing the dress on your other blog!!!!!! The only way that dress could be any more beautiful is to be on C herself!!! It's amazing, Lisa! Fit for a princess, to be sure. The colors and fabric are just beautiful!!!
ReplyDelete(Annie's going to love this post. Hi Annnie!)
Ha- these colors would be great on YOU, Miss Lauren.
ReplyDeleteI am seriously impressed, Lisa! And I am more than a wee bit jealous about your made sewing skills. I do not possess those skills. I need to take a class. Or have M's aunt come visit me, too!
Very cute! Great job!
ReplyDelete(And words of praise are totally my language, too!)
Very cute! I've been sewing myself this summer, and you are right...such a REWARDING hobby! Good job Lisa!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the dress- way to go Lisa!! BTW- who is having twins?
ReplyDeleteKate-- Diana is due with fraternal twins in April (though they'll likely be here in March). I can't wait for her to find out if they're boys or girls or both! She's like you now, with 2 little boys.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!
ReplyDeleteI can't make ANYTHING! This is beautiful!! I am so impressed!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, looks like you need to do a little matchmaking with your brothers, no? I love matchmaking.... :)
That is adorable. I'm going to have to add this to my fall to-do project list for Sweetpea :)
ReplyDeleteOOOHHHH!!! Leila would do a GREAT job match-making for M and S!!!
ReplyDeleteTo my friend who is good at EVERYTHING--now add sewing to the list!! I am so impressed! OH, one of my babies just kicked me. I think that means they like the dress too (let's hope that one turns out to be a girl!)
ReplyDeleteWhoohoo! Very cute, thanks so much for sending me over! It's so fun to see what everyone does with this pattern. :)
ReplyDelete