Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm baaaaaack!

Whew! We just returned on Monday after a whirlwind tour of Middle America-- 8 states in all, counting our home state of Texas. M had meetings in Colorado Springs for a couple of days, so the whole family loaded up in our truck and headed northwest through New Mexico. Since M had to be in Iowa the following week for more meetings, we decided to spend a few days and nights in Estes Park, CO and explore Rocky Mountain National Park, then head east with him. The park was spectacular... and 44 degrees on top of the mountains! It was a welcome change from the 100 degree plus heat in Texas.

We then trekked across Nebraska to Iowa, where we were able to visit with some of M's family. The kids and I stayed with a relative for several days while M was in another city for meetings, then we reunited to visit more family before driving home (well, technically to our parents' homes, to pick up the dogs) via Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma to Texas.

And let me tell you... if you're still in love after spending 13 straight hours in a vehicle, after already spending 16 days traveling with 2 kids under the age of 3, you're golden.

If you don't believe me, here's the math:

16 days traveling + 2 kids under 3 + 13 hours in a vehicle = GOLDEN
(See... I told you)

All-in-all, we were gone from home for 18 days. I'd had elaborate visions of working on the homeschooling series,  reading for my book study, typing up recipes for my cooking blog, and doing a myriad of other things.

I think I may have been under the influence of mind-altering substances.

 Instead, I found myself without internet the majority of the time (my computer antenna decided to only pick up signal if I was RIGHT NEXT to a wireless source) and far too busy keeping a crawling baby from falling off hotel beds/a toddler from trying to eat dropped snacks off a hotel floor/both of them from waking up or disturbing everyone else. I missed blogging at first, but once I realized that by being fully present on the trip for the kids and M, I was doing the best thing for my family and myself, then the guilt dissolved.

HOWEVER...

Now that my new best friend, Jen from Conversion Diary, mentioned the homeschooling series on her blog, I REALLY have to get back to blogging. I have a TON more thoughts and I have several guest posters I'm working on lining up, so it should give a fuller view of what homeschooling really is, and how it can look different for everyone.

So, give me one more week to wash laundry, get the kids back on some semblance of a schedule, and cook a few meals, then I'll be back on top of things!

PS I have a giveaway coming up next week! Hint: Following this blog will give you one entry... go ahead and FOLLOW now!

3 comments:

  1. I'm coming over from Jen's link to you, and really excited to start following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im' looking forward to the homeschools postings. J is in public first grade right now, but he definitely wont be in middle and high school. We were in estes park this summer too! Hope yall enjoyed it as much as we did. And, my kids slept a total of 1.5 each GOING and COMING back, so I understant. J will ride on the roof rack next year... bethany K (someday I will figure out this blog sign in thing and be able to post regular comments- arg!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails