Thursday, August 5, 2010

Homeschooling guest post TOMORROW!

I am very excited to have a homeschooling guest post tomorrow from my very dear friend, Lauren, from Magnify the Lord with Me. If you read either of our blogs with any regularity, you'll notice that we're constantly linking back and forth to each other. She thinks I'm funny and a great cook, and I think she's brilliantly gifted in all matters concerning faith and frugality. (And obviously we like each other for other reasons. I realize how one/two-dimensional that sounds...)

Lauren and I met in high school, at junior/senior prom. She was a grade behind me and we didn't know each other (though we found out later we'd actually taken a class together when she was in junior high and I was in high school!) before that. Anyway, her up-do started to become a down-do in the middle of prom, so I took her to the bathroom and re-pinned it all. That's all it took! We've been friends for nearly 15 years now. We attended the same university and then moved in together post-college when we both had teaching jobs in the same city. She taught at a Catholic elementary school and I taught English at a Catholic high school.

We went through a lot of changes over our three years of living together as we both dealt with difficulties in our personal lives. Seeing each other at darker moments allowed for even greater rejoicing when we both met our (then-future) husbands within six months of each other. We got to share in each other's wedding planning and then we got married two weeks apart! Since we've been married, we haven't lived in the same city and have only seen each other five times or so. She's my daughter's Godmother, and I can't picture anyone more perfectly crafted to hold my daughter's soul in her hands.

Lauren married a great man whose own personality provides balance to hers. They are both very faithful Catholics and wonderful people who have looked forward to starting a large family together. Unfortunately, they've had to struggle with infertility and tangled adoption processes (you can read about this on her blog-- Lauren's done a great job of chronicling their journey). But...

In just a few more DAYS they are hoping to adopt their first child, a precious little boy! So, even more than ever, the homeschooling issue is becoming a complete reality for them. Be sure to come back tomorrow and read Lauren's post-- it's GREAT!

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to "follow" Lauren's blog and my own. And we both LOVE comments! I always say that sometimes I feel no one is reading this (except Lauren, my most faithful commenter) and then I hear from real-life friends and blog friends and realize people are out there. So, follow and comment! Give me a reason to put my English degrees and creative writing classes to use!

You'll be hearing more from Lauren in future guest posts about the homeschooling curriculum she's planning to use, and any other topic on which I can get her to post! Also, I think I may have to write later about some of our funny moments from living together. We had quite the time together! (See other real-life friends... if you comment on my blog I write nice things about you...) :-)

4 comments:

  1. HA! Here I am commenting on my own post!! Well- your post about me! :) (I hope I'm not the only commenter tomorrow...I worked really hard on that one!)

    I miss my roomie and love ya very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious what you ladies are finding about homeschooling. I personally relish sending my child to school each day, though I must admit this summer the pace has been much easier for all of us.
    And if there's one thing I've learned from parenting... never say never! You will often finding yourself doing EXACTLY what you said you would "never" do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren-- even if I have to pay someone to comment, there will be more than just you (and me). :)

    Julie-- I'm with you about the feeling of sending your child off, because I get that feeling when I take C to Mothers Day Out. In fact, it's something I have struggled with about homeschooling and having time to get things done with "one less child" to strap into a carseat, entertain at an ob/gyn visit, wrangle into a shopping cart, etc. BUT... I've come up with some good ideas and a friend who may guest post on here has more ideas about how to get the best of both worlds-- control of the education mixed with some independence for child and self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lauren, too! Though I have never met her! :) You are an English major, too? We have a lot in common!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails