I wrote an introduction to Lauren, from Magnify the Lord with Me, in yesterday's blog post. Be sure to read it and get acquainted with the author of today's guest post!
And now... take it away, LAUREN!!! (The crowd goes wild...)
Thank you, Lisa, for asking me to share my thoughts on home-schooling! It is a topic that has been near and dear to my heart over the last few years as the Lord has stretched me (as only He is known to do!) in the area of education. I taught in Catholic elementary schools for seven years. We are military, so I experienced three different Catholic schools in two states and various socio-economic backgrounds. I’ve taught kindergarten, first and third grades, but first grade is my favorite! We do not have children yet, but are hoping to adopt (very) soon. Yes- I like to plan ahead!
In my experience, I found that the longer I taught, the more disillusioned I became with the education system. I discovered that even within the most Godly and focused school, the child’s experience depended directly upon their teacher and the type of class she had that year. Previously I found home-schooling to be strange and frightening, but as I began to learn more about the concept, we found that it was the answer to our concerns.
The following are the TOP SEVEN REASONS why home-schooling is for us.
- The PURPOSE of Education: As a Christian, the purpose of an education is essentially to get you into Heaven! Every aspect of our education should be oriented towards helping us to know, love and serve God better. My first principal understood this and expressed it beautifully to us teachers…ONCE. I do not think most teachers taught with that in mind. My second and third schools did not understand this at all.
In the public school and most private schools, the purpose of an education is to become “successful.” Schools are performance-driven, not grace-oriented. They want to train students to do well so that they, too, can enter the rat-race and become consumers with the mentality that if they work hard enough, they can save themselves. Ironically, many students reject this form of education because they understand that there is more to life than this. Public schools and many (most?) private schools do not teach our kids to REBEL against the destructive norms of society. My husband and I want our kids to be rebels for Jesus!
One last note on religion in education. In most private schools, religion has become a subject, not the essence of the school. In my first school, our principal mandated that religion be the FIRST subject taught, so as to impress upon students (and teachers) the priority and importance of the subject. When I got married and began teaching at a different Catholic school, I tried to continue in this light. But when I turned in my schedule to my principal, she informed me that it is the school’s policy to teach MATH first because of its importance. (I should have walked away right then and there.)
- Education is STATE-CONTROLLED: The majority of private schools receive some sort of funding from the state, often with strings attached. If strings are not attached when the money is offered initially, it can be later. A school might think they could stop taking the money if the rules were changed, such as teaching homosexuality is “normal,” yet once a school becomes accustomed to accepting money, it can be very difficult to refuse. Schools teach the values of modern-day American society rather than the values of the Lord.
Furthermore, most public and private schools use the same textbooks. The textbook has become the substitute for a well-trained teacher. Teachers simply read their directions and lines from the teachers’ manual and the lesson is achieved. In history, for example, very seldom are outside sources of material introduced. Special interest groups are well aware of this phenomenon and have high influence into what goes into the books in order to promote their agenda.
- The TYPE of Education: For the past century, progressive thought has dominated our schools. Based on the philosophy of Rousseau and Kant, progressive educators believe that a child can learn naturally if only the hindrance of society is removed. Kant actually argued that reason is impotent and objective knowledge can never be truly known. Books like Dewey’s Democracy and Education and Boyd Bode’s Progressive Education at the Crossroads taught that children are inherently good and will learn if impediments are removed. They teach information for the sake of information. Terms such as “child-centered,” “open concept,” and “activity-based” are prevalent in a progressive classroom. It produces students who are largely ignorant of facts and unable to reason.
We are choosing a Catholic Classical education for our children. Our approach recognizes that children are affected by original sin and should not be allowed to “do as they like.” Whereas the progressive school focuses on subjects, we will focus on the tools of learning.
Dorothy Sayers in her essay “The Lost Tools of Learning” writes:
[T]he tools of learning are the same, in any and every subject; and the person who knows how to use them will, at any age, get the mastery of a new subject in half the time and with a quarter of the effort expended by the person who has not the tools at his command. [. . .]
To close this section, let me end with a quote by the famous Flannery O’Conner: “My advice to parents is…Anything that William Heard Kilpatrick & John Dewey say to do, don’t do.”
4. TIME: Essentially, school is a colossal waste of time. That is not to say that time spent in school is completely wasted, but that the amount of time spent learning and practicing worthwhile skills is dramatically out-of-proportion. And because of the time spent IN school, there is limited time to learn OUT of school! This limits time spent with family, friends, religious education, extra-curricular activities, play and so-on. In addition, students are generally taught to the lowest-common denominator in the classroom. We will be able to teach our children at whatever level they are at! We can personally tailor the education to each individual child and help them use their minds to the fullest.
5. SOCIALIZATION: Ironically, this is the main reason people are against home-schooling! But socialization is one of the major reasons why we are choosing to home-school our children! In schools, students are interacting with twenty to thirty students of the same age for forty hours a week. With one teacher, kids tend to be the ones settling problems and setting up the social structure. But kids are not the best teachers of effective communication and problem-solving skills, and so the result is quite often more like Lord of the Flies than Lord of the Rings. At home, there is not a one-to-thirty ratio of adults to children, but, let’s go crazy and say a two-to-ten ratio. Children are learning to communicate with those older AND younger than themselves, and are better suited to enter the world with people of all ages.
6. SHELTER: Yep! We WANT to shelter our kids! We want to introduce topics as each child is developmentally ready according to age, ability, maturity and necessity. The consumerism and sexuality that are prevalent in schools are not welcome in our home. So many of my first graders were obsessed (yes, obsessed) with Hannah Montana and would sing her songs and shake their booties on the playground.
7. Finally, FINANCES: This differs significantly from home to home, but in our home, I was planning to stay home with our children until at least the last one was in college. Private schools are incredibly expensive, especially for the large family we hope to have. However, the home-school curriculum we hope to use costs about $1,000 a year PER FAMILY. Amazing!!
A final thought from my husband: “No-one has more incentive to educate their children well, than their own parents.”
Thanks again, Lisa, for the opportunity share my thoughts. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts as well as more from other guest-posts and comments! What a great idea for a series!
Thanks, Lauren! You have great thoughts here, and I especially agree with the issues of sheltering, time, and state-controlled (and tested!) education.

Thanks, Lauren! You have great thoughts here, and I especially agree with the issues of sheltering, time, and state-controlled (and tested!) education.


Good job Lauren!! This is a great post, and I'm going to print it out so I can better explain why we are homeschooling to other people...you have definitely hit all the key points! I'm reading Catholic Education: Homeward Bound by Kimberly Hahn and Mary Hasson and it is an excellent resource touching on all the areas you just mentioned! We will be beginning homeschooling this September! I'm so excited!
ReplyDeleteWow! Lauren you hit on why Todd and I have talked about home schooling our children!
ReplyDeleteLauren, this is a lovely post. I agree with your assessment of schools in this country. EXCEPT (there's always an exception, no?) that we are so blessed in our diocese to have a truly CATHOLIC school. We are parish-supported (a blessing and a cross at the same time) and Catholic to the core. Our children have Catholicism woven into every aspect of their day (and NOT "just a subject" like at many Catholic schools we have heard of)
ReplyDeleteWe considered homeschooling, but with both of us working full-time, it wasn't in the cards. However, if we are in a position to homeschool, but we still have our wonderful Catholic parochial school available to us - we'd probably still choose the Catholic school!
Anyway, I loved your post and wanted to say, Good for you! And prayers for your upcoming adoption.
Michelle
Good to hear your thoughts on this, Lauren, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, Lisa. I feel incredibly ambivalent about the issue so it'll be good to hear some different perspectives. Good thing we don't have to decide for awhile!
ReplyDeleteGreat job, Lauren! I love how you can express your beliefs so well.
ReplyDeleteThis post was interesting for me to read, especially the part about the "type". I just took the last Praxis for the State of Maryland (I'm a high school French techer, for those who don't know me) and in pouring over my review books those names you mentioned were revered like Messiahs (especially Dewey). I think there is some merit to them, especially given the state of education in their time, but like anything, the pendulum can swing too far, as I think it has.
Great post! My sister home schools and wow... her kids are doing so well. I always liked the *idea* of home schooling but never was really sold until I saw my niece and nephew thrive in ways I never thrived in schools.
ReplyDeleteThanks, everyone. I love hearing your thoughts on the issue and feedback. Michelle- I totally agree that there are always exceptions and some Catholic schools (or Christian schools) are absolutely fabulous. I'm not opposed to school by any means- just comparing the average public and average private to homeschooling. Congrats for having such a fabulous school available to you!!! That's wonderful!
ReplyDeleteGreat points, Lauren! I would LOVE to homeschool for all the reasons you pointed out (especially the financial one.. there is NO way we could afford Catholic school unless something major changes), but my major hesitation and the reason we don't plan on doing it is me. I'm not a trained educator and I just don't think it's in my personality to do the necessary preparation, get all lessons done, stay on task, etc. Even just thinking about it now, I know I wouldn't be capable! I'd love to hear your thoughts on that sometime. I can't imagine I'm the first person who wants to homeschool yet doesn't feel up to the task :)
ReplyDeleteWell stay tuned for a part two coming soon, AYWH, b/c I'm going to address that VERY issue!!! :) As an educator, even I feel overwhelmed at the task!! That all changed when I discovered the curriculum that I am in love with! I went from 80% sure we'd home school out of necessity to 99% sure (with room for adjustment) and TOTAL ENTHUSIASM- can't wait to start! :)
ReplyDeleteI have the very same issues as AYWH....Really, you have read my blog. I struggle with puncutuation. I can't even organize my meals, lady!!! hahaha
ReplyDeleteI think I could do it and I'm surprised by the desire or should I say interest I have taken in it, but when you have to text your friends if you have 3 pills to take in one day and you are supposed to take 2/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the afternoon, how many pills am I supposed to take....Ummm, yeah, probably not homeschooling teacher qualified? hahahaha LMBO!
But I'm really interested in it...I NEVER thought I would say it either, but over the past couple of years as my eyes have been opened up to the world more and more as I try to bring children into the world, it almost seems necessary..... ;)
subscribing.... ;)
ReplyDeleteLauren, I completely agree with several of your points. Socialization and sheltering are also two of my top reasons. I want my littles to have a strong godly world view before they are influenced by their TV tuned friends view of things.
ReplyDeleteWe have also said that we want our littles to be rebels for Jesus! You know, stay married, hold down a job.... those sorts of crazy things!
Great post Lauren! You hit on all the major points and make a great spokesperson for homeschooling.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking as someone who a) was homeschooled from grades 7-12 and b) homeschools her own children now (albeit only two years so far) I wanted to add that it is far less daunting and much easier than most people imagine it to be. I'm not an educator by trade and in many ways, that makes homeschooling even easier. I don't follow a boxed curriculum but sort of trust my gut and look to my children to know where their individual interests and strengths lie.
I am pretty eclectic and believe in following my children's cues and it's worked beautifully for us. Really, when you think about it, educating and parenting are inseparable. You are already "educating" when you hold your arms out as your child takes his first steps...as he learns to talk and models what you do around the house. Letters, numbers come naturally without trying. Honest they do! And before you know it, they are putting them together and figuring out real-life words and math problems on their own.
Great post Lauren! We are hoping to homeschool for all the same reasons! I nannied for a large, homeschooling Catholic family and the mom always said "do you think I actually want other 1st graders socializing my kids??" Heck no! That is such a big issue for so many people, but with a little common sense it is completely absolved.
ReplyDeleteAYWH and Sew, I've obviously never homeschooled my own children, but I have been immersed in many families who do. You might be surprised how gradually it happens. It's not like one day you change your whole life and begin SCHOOL. My suggestion would be to stay at home with your preschool aged children if possible and do as many education activities as possible, just whatever comes naturally. (I'm talking like playing with ABC foam letters in the bathtub and taking trips to the zoo). I think you'll eventually realize that you already ARE homeschooling and it will come more naturally from there.
Excellent post Lauren! The desire to homeschool is very close to my heart yet I feel uncapable - mainly because I suffer from chronic fatigue. It is good to know others feel the same way. I am looking forward to your next post.
ReplyDeleteLauren, I am 100% on board with every single one of your points. In fact, they were all given as reasons by my husband to me as to why we would homeschool. I had the same thoughts as AYWH at first and eventually with enough prayer I was willing to accept my role as not only primary, but sole educator. However, we recently moved and like Michelle, we happen to now live in a place where Catholic education is really good, especially in our parish school. You know something by the fruit it produces and this school produces students that are very actively Catholic, often choosing the only Catholic colleges remaining that are truly Catholic. Moreover, the tuition is free to all active, participating parishioners.
ReplyDeleteMy oldest will only be in kindergarten this year, so I'll let you know what I think after this year--perhaps I won't be so gung-ho, if I see some behind the scene problems. However, one of my husband's first questions to the principal when we were touring the school was "does your school allow for pop/secular culture to seep in and influence the culture of the school, for example embracing such popular characters as Hannah Montana?" (or something to that effect) and his response was "NO!" In fact, he said that perhaps his kids were a little too militant in their rejection of such popular culture. The students also read a lot of original sources and good literature, so it all sounds promising. Like I said, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for such a great post!
Homeschooling is great! It's an easy transition from doing pre-school type stuff at home to doing more official early "elementary" school types of activities. God gives parents lots of grace to be a home educator. I think home-schooling has actually enhanced both my parenting and my marriage.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post Lauren! I just ordered our homeschooling materials last week; can't wait to get started!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to say (write) one more thing...I'm amazed at the number of people who, when I tell them we're planning to homeschool, comment on how we (collectively) shouldn't shelter our children. In my head I'm screaming, "YES, we do need to shelter our children!" You stated the reason for sheltering them very clearly and convincingly, Lauren. THANKS!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this post. In fact, I could have written it myself if I were half as articulate as you!!! (what I mean to say is, everything you said resonated COMPLETELY with me and are all reasons I think homeschooling is a fabulous route to take).
ReplyDeleteEspecially the sheltering and the state involvement parts ... oh and I CANNOT WAIT to hear about the curriculum you are excited about.
Lauren, this is amazing and brilliantly stated! I agree with everything you said. I have homeschooled on and off. Right now, we have a thoroughly Catholic independent school which is full of like-minded teachers and parents. It's a classical model and Dorothy Sayers is one of the bases of the philosophy (along with encyclicals!). So, it's a wonderful option we have that others may not.
ReplyDeleteEven my older kids, who go to a public, charter school, have a Great Books curriculum with no pop-culture allowed in the discussions.
I so agree with you about the sheltering. What is wrong with sheltering little ones???
I can't tell you how excited I am for your children! They will be so very blessed to have you teaching them at home!
Lifehopes pointed me in the direction of This post. I love this! I'm doing some things with my 3 year old daughter now. I am loving having her home and seeing her learn
ReplyDelete.
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the wonderful write up. Currently Stephanie and I are considering what to do with our two children. Both Stephanie and my parents are either teachers or administrator in a public school. It will be a challenge for us if we choose not to go the public school route, esp because we live in an area where the schools are very well though of academically (TAKS). JP is 4 so time is running out...
Raymond
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You have said everything I have been feeling about homeschooling and your husband's comment sounded like it came right out of my husband's mouth! I am having a hard time convincing my doubting mother and sister that this is the best thing for us, but I will point them toward your post should the conversation go that direction again.
ReplyDelete