Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Letter #1 to my Prayer Buddy

Note: this is the Prayer Buddy I'm praying FOR this Advent.

However, Prayer Buddy who's praying for me, you've got your work cut out for you... I apologize in advance. I really need some prayers at the moment.

Dear Prayer Buddy,

Just so you know, I'm ridiculously nervous about praying for you this Advent season. Is it silly to be nervous about praying for someone? Someone I've never met? Maybe that's what causes my nervousness-- I feel the awesome responsibility of focusing my prayers toward you, and fear that my feeble prayers will not be enough. And I desperately want my prayers to be enough for you. More than enough for you.

So, Prayer Buddy, I want you to know that, even though we don't know each other, you've already become intricately and intimately intertwined in my thoughts and prayers. I'm a thinker; when I pray, I typically just think my prayers, a silent conversation with God that threads itself throughout the day. You're now part of that communication-- it's like now we're on a three-way call with The Big Guy Upstairs. I want you to know that when you ask anything of the Lord now, I'm joining my own prayers to yours, pleading on your behalf. Praying for hope on your behalf.

And you know what? Knowing that there is someone praying for me now helps this-- it frees up my prayer life in an amazing way. I think of it like a spiritual babysitter-- I can get some major work done while someone else watches over my own concerns.

Please know that already I've been blessed to pray for you, because it has forced me to step outside of myself and make this season of waiting a season worthy of Whom I am awaiting.

All my prayers,
Lisa

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails