It's been a while since I posted about homeschooling here (though I have some GREAT new ideas and thoughts thanks to visiting with a local homeschool family recently), but I wanted to post some encouraging words I received from one of my dearest friends. She and I worked together at a Girl Scout camp for a few years after high school and she was one of my bridesmaids-- and I was her Confirmation sponsor when she became Catholic!
She sent me an e-mail (confessing her lack of commenting-- for shame!) that gave me a lot of encouragement about thinking of homeschooling just one day and year at a time.
Okay, so I read your blog all the time and LOVE it, but am way to shy to comment it on it (I know, what kind of friend am I?). So, I just had to give you my two cents from a working mom on homeschooling. Hands down I think you should do it. If for no other reason then because if you don't you will always wonder. While you're working, you'll wish you were home with your kids (partly grass is greener syndrome). Anytime something "bad" happened in school you will think to yourself "If only I homeschooled..." and you will always wonder if you made the right decision. HOWEVER, if you homeschool and you love it and it's wonderful then great! You made the right decision. If you homeschool and it doesn't work out, no harm done, at least you know. But take it from me, the thought will always be in the back of your mind and you'll always wonder "what if..."
Also, you are spot on. The decision is not permanent. I know a parent who homeschooled her kids until one son was in third grade and then enrolled him in public school when he was having trouble with his reading. I also know another family (who has 8 kids) and the mom switches back and forth between homeschooling and public school and all of the kids are very well adjusted! They're all great kids!
So, not that you asked for it, but I just had to tell you I think you should go for it!
Thanks, friend! Such great advice and thoughts... I love you!
Halloween Porch
5 days ago

What a great friend and great works of encouragement!
ReplyDelete