Friday, October 8, 2010

Sacred mysteries, toddler-style

 Fra Angelico, The Annunciation

Discussing with a two-year-old how an angel appeared to Mary, to announce that she would bear a child:

Me: An angel came to the Virgin Mary and told her that she would be the Mother of Jesus and that...

C, interrupting: No, no, Mommy. She's going to be the Mother of God, not Jesus. (someone's been paying attention during the Hail Mary!)

Me: Well, honey, God and Jesus are the same. You're right-- she's the Mother of God and the Mother of Jesus.

C: And the Holy Spirit, Mommy.

Me, getting confused theologically: Well... I guess then she is also the Mother of the Holy Spirit. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all part of the Trinity.

C: Ooh. Trinity. Trinity. Trin-i-teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I like the Trinity, Mommy.

Me: Me, too, C, me too.

C: The Trinity is Dog and Pig and Ant and...

Me: Hold on, turn off Word World and come over here again...

3 comments:

  1. My God-daughter is a genius. Holiest girl ever. It's all that prayin' I've been doing for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leila, for helping me out on this:

    The RCIA teacher in me came out when I read your latest post (SOOOOOO cute, by the way!!). I have to throw out that Mary is only the Mother of Jesus, not the entire Trinity. She's the Mother of God Incarnate (Jesus).

    Beautiful image here of her unique relationship to the Trinity:

    Fairest Daughter of the Father
    Purest Spouse of the Holy Spirit
    Blessed Mother of the Son

    Daughter, Spouse and Mother! Awesome!!

    You probably already knew this, but I had to put it out there!! :)

    THANK YOU, LEILA!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails