Thursday, October 14, 2010

Homeschooling guest post TOMORROW!

I am very excited to have a homeschooling guest post tomorrow from a wonderful Catholic blogger whom I recently found, Lisa, from The Little House that Grew. I e-mailed and asked her if she'd be interested in doing a guest post here... and if she would like to move to Texas and live next-door so we could drink coffee together every morning and talk about our school plans.

I'm not kidding-- I figured it was worth a shot. She hasn't said no to that thus far, so I'm not writing it off just yet.

I knew that I would love Lisa when I came across THIS post. It's the same pie I made last Thanksgiving at the ranch! Granted, I modified it into a gluten-free recipe for my MIL, but it was amazing either way. I even had to call my mom for the exact recipe, since I'd left my Southern Living at home. My theory about Lisa was that anyone who 1) makes Pioneer Woman recipes as much as I do, 2) loves reading Clover Lane, 3) bakes Southern Living pies with blogging friends, 4) and uses a D-90 Nikon to takes photos is my kind of gal. Plus, it makes me laugh when people have the same name as me. I think it looks funny to type, "Dear Lisa" and then sign it with "Lisa."

Lisa e-mailed me back almost immediately and was sweet enough to say that, YES, she could do a post for me! I sent her a zillion questions, and she got to work writing about how she and her husband decided that homeschooling is for them now.

Here's the intro to Lisa's homeschooling story:

I happen to be a freshman when it comes to home schooling. In other words, I am still wet behind the ears working my way through this choice. In some ways that is an advantage when talking with young moms who are discerning home schooling. I was just there. I was them, .and in some ways I still am them. Even after 5 years of home schooling I have doubts, worries and regret.

Let me just state, before we go any further, I am a homeschooler….not an ANTI-SCHOOLER. And there is a difference in my opinion. I don’t think my children will become corrupt if they associate with or enter a “school.” I don‘t hate school. I wish it were that simple. But just like with all families… there is more to the story than that.

Mine started when I was in Alaska, a young mom to 2 little girls, and I met 2 Catholic home schooling moms. Upon meeting their families I was impressed. I just liked what I saw. The kids were kind. They were respectful. They spoke while looking at you. They prayed with their parents at supper. They read… for FUN!!

But this is not what you want to hear. If you are considering home schooling than you too have met families like this. You too are intrigued by what you see in these families. 

I started asking them questions. A lot of questions. How do you do this? How do you do that? And more importantly …WHY?…that was my biggest question. And from there I began to develop my own how’s and why’s. But as time has gone on, I have found that my why’s have changed, and so have I. And the biggest problem I have in explaining my reasons for home schooling is there are so many different connected, yet unrelated reasons why I started, why I still do it, and why I plan to continue. Mine is just one story, my story, and nobody but me and God will ever know the whole thing.  But let me tell you the first part...

You'll have to wait until tomorrow for the first part! (Or you can check it out on her blog... but come back tomorrow, anyway)  

Also, if you haven't already, be sure to "follow" Lisa's blog... and my own. :-)

You'll (hopefully!) be hearing more from Lisa in future guest posts about the homeschooling curriculum she uses, and how she manages to do this with little ones around!

Thanks, Lisa!

2 comments:

  1. Next time Lisa and I make a pie, you are SO invited!! If you can deal with the nonsense of our combined eleven kids and 15 acres of dirt to clean out of your car, we're good!
    Great post. Look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh!!!! Love it adn can't wait to read her thoughts! I went to her blog but didn't read the post yet. BUT I saw she uses MODG and YEA!!! Excitement!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails