So, I've mentioned that I'm taking Prednisone for my UC flare. It's a corticosteroid that reduces inflammation, but has some unwelcome side effects, including:
-Weight gain (Luckily, the scale has stayed the same. But more on this later...)
-Mood swings (Up, down, up, down... mostly up for 2 weeks, now all over the board)
-Insomnia (What? I'm sorry... I haven't slept much in 2 weeks and can't process this thought)
-Avascular necrosis of bone (Yes, that would be another way of saying BONE DEATH. Hello, aching knees last week)
-Acne (Unfortunate, given that my skin has been so clear the past few months)
Now that we've dealt with these, I'd like to introduce you to Sara Beth. She's been hanging around lately, though I won't be too sad to see her go, hopefully sooner than later. Sara Beth is my... buffalo hump. There. I've said it. I. Have. A. Hump. I'm going to have to talk to our church about hiring me to ring the bells instead of the electronic system they have. Just call me Quasimodo. Prednisone can cause a "redistribution of fat," which is a polite way of saying that it migrates to places you DO NOT want it to go... belly, neck, and face (hello, moon face! What's up with this terminology, anyway? "Moon face" and "buffalo hump" do not do much for one's self-esteem). So, even though the numbers on the scale are the same, I'm still looking rounder.
While I refuse to display a photo now of Sara Beth, check out this website if you're curious.
This whole process has been interesting, and is really forcing me to get over myself, particularly when it comes to my looks. Post-pregnancy time is already tough, but add a very round face (and I already HAD a round face!), a hump, and an inability to lose weight while on this medicine, plus bloodshot eyes due to insomnia, being a bit sick, and having 2 somewhat-sick kids who wake up multiple times each night, I've had to just see the humor in this season of my life. Thus, "Sara Beth" was named. "Sara Beth" sounds much nicer than buffalo hump. I've accepted her as my buddy during this time, since she won't be going anywhere until I'm off the meds sometime next month.
This does not, however, mean that I'm giving up all vanity. I seriously need a haircut so I don't look like I belong in Deliverance. Just make sure my hair hides the hump, though, please.

Oh honey...I'm so sorry!!! That sounds miserable! Glad you're keeping up your sense of humor. I love my roomie!!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE all your new posts! Sorry to hear about all of your side effects. Glad you tried Aunt Debbies Cake and I can't believe how big Henry is getting!
ReplyDeleteLisa! I'm gonna pray for you, sister...when did this all start? Just post-pregnancy?
ReplyDeleteBTW, I love the blog-layout and am glad you're updating. I miss you. Let's chat soon! Much love!!!!!!!!!