Friday, January 14, 2011

Not hiding, just remodeling

I've been pretty absent from blogging recently, though I manage at least to read many blogs and comment here and there, mostly using my trusty iPhone while hiding from the kids and peeing in private taking a break from my daily business. It's been pretty crazy around here lately.

So, what's been keeping you so busy, Lisa?

Thanks for asking, imaginary friend!

On CHRISTMAS DAY, a day when most people sit around the fireplace while sipping egg nog as puppies in sweaters frolic at their feet and children squeal with delight at their new pajamas (seriously, that needs a post of its own later) toys, M and I decided to start our kitchen renovation project. We're replacing our Formica countertops with granite tile countertops and are doing all of it ourselves... even the bullnosing of the edges.

Nothing says "Merry Christmas!" like tearing apart your countertops and still having to cook meals in there. (For the record, we don't eat out. Ever. The last time I can remember our little family eating out was in April.) What can I say-- I love to cook and can do it 10 times better than anywhere else we could go. I'd be embarrassed about bragging, but if you'd been here for the party we threw a few weeks ago (the weekend before the renovation), you'd know that I'm no liar. Grilled pork loin, tortilla soup, homemade French bread, party salad (that's what I call it... no idea what it's really called), potato salad, chocolate cake, margaritas, and tons of appetizers and dips... but I digress.

Anyway, here's a sneak peek from one side of last week's progress:

Obviously they're not grouted yet, and at this point we hadn't finished the very back, along the wall.

This is one of the (very annoying, very frustrating) jobs that I had: matching tiles together so that the entire counter will look as seamless as possible:

It's like some crazy version of calculus on the back of some of the tile. This is why my husband keeps me around-- I'm useful. And, I'm the only one who understands my code, so he can't get rid of me. That's also why I handle the bills and filing system. He'd be dazed and confused without me. :)

4 comments:

  1. WOW! I didn't know you were doing that! Y'all are so good! You should post before pics, too, though I loved your kitchen before! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we still have to do the very back (we have to cut slivers of tile, basically) and grout and then seal everything, and THEN we have to install our new sink and do all of the tile work there. And find a faucet. Hopefully everything will be fully finished by the end of January. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails