Thursday, March 17, 2011

Uh oh... it's Friday. In Lent. What's for dinner? Recipe #2

**In case you missed last week's meatless meal, be sure to check out this recipe for Tomatillo Salsa Baked Fish.

I first found this recipe a few years ago on the Gluten-Free Goddess website. If I were making it for my MIL, I'd go ahead and do the GF version, otherwise I'd likely use a mix of flour and corn tortillas.


SWEET POTATO AND BLACK BEAN ENCHILADAS (gluten-free version)

Green Chile Sauce:
1 cup light vegetable broth (I have also used chicken broth)
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch dissolved in a little cold water (I just use cornstarch, or even flour)
1 generous cup chopped roasted green chiles- hot or mild (I use the canned kind)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin or chili powder, hot or mild, to taste

Filling:
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh lime juice from 1 big juicy lime
2 heaping cups cooked sweet potatoes, smashed a bit, but still chunky (you can cube them and soften them. If you make homemade baby food, bake several potatoes, set aside a couple for this, and purée the rest!)
1/2 cup chopped roasted green chiles
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or curry, mild or spicy, as you prefer
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

To assemble:

2-4 tablespoons light olive oil or vegetable oil, as needed
8 white corn tortillas
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese

-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Choose a baking dish that will hold 8 enchiladas.

-Make your Green Chile Sauce by combining the broth, dissolved arrowroot (or cornstarch), green chiles, garlic and spices in a sauce pan and heating over medium-high heat. Bring to a high simmer. Simmer until thickened. Taste test. Set aside.

-In the meantime, using a mixing bowl, combine the drained black beans with minced garlic and lime juice. Toss to coat the beans and set aside.

-In a separate bowl combine the lightly smashed sweet potatoes with the chopped green chiles; add the spices. Season with sea salt and pepper.

-Pour about 1/4 cup of the Quickie Green Chile Sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.

-Grab a skillet and heat a dash of oil. Lightly cook the corn tortillas to soften them - one at a time - as you stuff each one. (Note: sometimes I just soften them a bit in the microwave between damp paper towels and then soak for a minute or so in the sauce so that I don't have to make them oily at all)

-Lay the first hot tortilla in the sauced baking dish; wet it with the sauce.

-Spoon 1/8 of the sweet potato mixture down the center. (Note: to make really yummy, add some cream cheese down the center as well)

-Top with 1/8 of the black beans.

-Wrap and roll the tortilla to the end of the baking dish.

-Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Top with the rest of the sauce.

-If you like, top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

-Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the enchiladas are piping hot and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.


This tastes unbelievably amazing-- people usually can't figure out what it is exactly that they're eating, but know they want seconds... and thirds.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing such unique recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! We, even all through the year, have pizza on Friday nights, so we just do cheese. Which sounds easy, but it's honestly a little sad b/c I actually used to have fun thinking of & trying out meatless Friday meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in luck, Nicole... next week's recipe is a DELICIOUS and veggie-packed meatless pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. That sounds amazing. I am going to have to try this...I think it will make the rest of our Friday meals look pretty boring, and then we won't ever want to go back. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails