Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Kindle vs. Nook vs. iPad

...vs. any other eReaders out there about which I know nothing.

So, I feel it necessary to at least peek into the modern age, while keeping my feet firmly in the stone age.

Yes, I'm chiseling this onto a rough-hewn stone and magically it appears on the computer screen.

My birthday is approaching in the next couple of months, and I'm thinking that it would be a good time to have any family members who want to give a gift help me get something that I actually want/will use.

The problem is, I'm not sure if I really want an eReader. I'm a former high school and college English teacher! I like the smell of books. I like to underline and mark pages and run my hands all over the smooth spine.

Wait... we're still talking about books, right?

Some reservations I have:

- I rarely buy books. I usually get them from the library or someone gives me a book.

- Of the books I have purchased (which have mostly not been out of copyright, and thus would not be free), there are several that I didn't want to keep. I have been able to sell them to a used-book store and ended up reclaiming some of my cost. Not so with eBooks that I don't love.

- I know that many children's books are available in digital form, but when I read a book to C, part of the magic of snuggling and reading together is holding the book and letting her turn the pages. For H, the magic is solely in eating the book or throwing the book.

I'm hoping he wasn't switched at birth. I'm not sure any child of mine would ever eat or throw a book. Fortunately, he's the spitting image of my dad, so I'm going to assume for the time being that the book-throwing gene comes from M's side of the family. He likely had some delinquent Czech great-great-great grandfather who also enjoyed tossing books about the room.

- To prove I truly am living in the Stone Age, or at least the Dark Ages, I start to get all Fahrenheit 451 and fear that if everyone begins to purchase eReaders, and every new book is "printed" in digital format with only a few hard copies, then if some major catastrophe happens and the world loses power, we'll be left in a world without books.

My 3rd greatest fear in the world would be realized.

So, help me out. What are your pros and cons of eReaders? Which do you own, and would you buy it again? Price aside, would you use an iPad in place of a smaller eReader? Before purchasing an eReader, where/how did you get the majority of your books? Do you buy any books in hard copy now?
How likely do you think it is that my son was switched at birth? (Just kidding on that last one...)?

6 comments:

  1. I'm still new at this ereader thing, but I would say that if you do take the plunge, make sure it's something that is not like a computer screen, but like a real page. Kindle is not back-lit, so it's great!!

    I know... I worry about books going away... but I think they will still stick around. We will just be able to read good books more easily and take them more places! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would much rather buy or borrow a book from the library than have an eReader. I'm like you and I like the feel of the page and something weighty in my hands. I was an English major so I also make comments and notes in the margins of the book. As for my kiddos, I want them to read a book with pages and not be explaing to me how the buttons work. Good luck deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an iPad and kindle...although I never use the iPad for reading...the kindle is awesome...and you'd be surprised by how close it feels to holding a book (if you buy a good quality cover)..and it is actually a lot more comfortable because you never have to worry about holding it just right so you can see the full page...plus the color is exactly like looking at a book...it is really, really great! And easy if you have wireless Internet or go anywhere with wi-fi! I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An e-reader would be great if you are traveling and don't want to lug books along. I don't have one though.

    I too underline and write notes in the books I own.

    Yep, call me an English major.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just clicked over to your site after reading your post on another one! I've been debating this for ages. I did read on CNET (a great site for review of electronics and such) that the Kindle was rated highest as far as the e-readers. I love reading and so does my husband, but when we travel, we inevitably carry with us a ton of books! So - I've decided on the Kindle, but haven't ordered one yet. Waiting for an anniversary or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh...get the iPad. I have an iPod touch and although much smaller, I have the Kindle app...so it's like an iPod, tiny computer, and eReader in one. I'm sure the Kindle app on an iPad would be bigger & better. And you can use it for SO much more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails